Friday, January 6, 2012

Today’s Transformation – E + R = O

We humans are machines. We respond almost identically in most situations. We even talk about having our buttons pushed when we react to someone. Very machine like. 

Psychotherapist, Robert Resnick devised a simple formula to describe human behavior. E + R = O or Event plus Response equals Outcome. Working on your response to an event will alter the outcome to any event.

When my ex-wife stood in front of me with her arm crossed and said, “We’ve got to talk” my immediate reaction was to back away wondering what I had done wrong this time. You can imagine the outcome of those interactions. My response was always the same.

When my current wife says the exact same words I lean in and eagerly want to know what’s on her mind, even if her arms are crossed. A different reaction to a similar event.
Transformation has occurred.

The next time a familiar situation happens to you notice your immediate reaction. It’s like punching B8 on a juke box and always getting the same song. We become predictable in our reactions.

Noticing your reaction is the first step in transforming a behavior.

© Copyright 2011 Lynn and Rick Lelchuk
Your Business. Your Life. Your Terms

No comments:

Post a Comment